PNPI plays a key role in collaboration with the largest scientific centers of the world in the main fields of its scientific activities:
- the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN, Switzerland);
- the European Centre for Neutron Science – the Institute Laue – Langevin (ILL, France);
- the DESY Research Centre (Germany);
- the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI, Switzerland);
- the GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research (Germany), and others.
In accordance with the order of the Government of the Russian Federation from May 04, 2012 of No 718-ð, at present the project of establishing an International Center for Neutron Research based on the reactor complex PIK is in progress. This project being one of the biggest in the world as well as on the territory of Russia is regarded to be a mega-science international project.
Creation of this center will enable to conduct breakthrough investigations in the field of condensed matter physics, biology, physics of polymers, neutron and nuclear physics and physics of elementary particles and fundamental interactions, which will contribute to supporting Russian Federation leadership in scientific community.